Monday, December 6, 2010

St. Nicholas Day

Did you leave your shoes out last night so St. Nick could fill them with a few goodies? Well, if you are in Germany, it is almost a requirement. Although it was touch and go for a few minutes last night whether or not a certain Burke child would be receiving goodies in their shoe or a stick (the traditional naughty child's gift), everything ended up alright and all kinder were pleasantly surprised in the morning. Here are the shoes all lined up and ready:

So, how was church yesterday and Young Women's, you ask? Great! I taught the lesson, on creating an uplifting environment. Hopefully the girls left with a better idea on how to create a good, nurturing, loving atmosphere in their homes (and then let me know how to make it last cuz I am DONE with the fightin' around here!!)
I had my own private German lesson today because I was the only one who showed up for class. I think that makes me the teacher's pet and I get to big ol' gold star. We went over our homework, which I must say, kept me up for two hours Saturday night cuz it was dang hard!! What fun did you have Sat night? Date night? Movie? I did German homework! Aren't I reckless and carefree? Does the rebel in me just scream "HAVE FUN!" or what? We went to see Tangled Friday night and it was adorable. I am going to take Aedan and Mason to see it again tomorrow during the day. What fun!
It snowed all day today. Big, beautiful flakes. It hasn't stopped once. It is warm enough that most isn't sticking to the roads, so it is fine to drive in (thank goodness!) but I'm curious to see if they delay school tomorrow. I braved a German store today in order to get a cool tree stand. I went to Toom, and asked the saleslady in German where the tree stands are. Except I told her I was visiting for a tree stand, instead of looking for a tree stand, but I think she understood and even rewarded me with a two syllable "Tschuss!!" when I left the department. I love speaking German. I stink at it, but I love trying. My goal is to order all our food at McDonalds one day in German and have the McDonalds person speak back to me in German. Right now, I speak to them in German, and they laugh when their mike is turned off and speak back to me in English. I won't give up though.
Here's Mason trying to catch snowflakes on his tongue as we left Toom:

No comments: