Thursday, August 26, 2010

It's Time

It's time. I doubted it before this week, but the past few days have confirmed the inevitable truth: the kids are ready to go back to school. This is the first week that I've heard the 'b' word from all three school aged children: "I'm BORED!" Which is hard for me to believe since I have really and truly tried to rival Toys R Us with the amount of toys we have, but the kids have "been there, done that" for the past two and a half months and are ready for something different. Their idea of something different is a trip to Toys R Us to find the one thing that we don't currently have in our possession, but my idea of change is school. So, today was the start of the orientations. Colton and I headed off this morning to check out his new intermediate school. I remember it from when Jaxon was in third grade here a few years ago, and although they have done some renovations, it's still familiar. Colton didn't seem too nervous and saw a friend at the orientation so he was happy. Getting new school supplies right afterwards excited him too and there's nothing like a new box of crayons and some mechanical pencils to get your heart racing for the start of a new school year. Ella's orientation is tomorrow. It's Kindergarten orientation, but the kids aren't supposed to come. Just the adults. Hmmm. Do you think I should tell someone that I've already been to kindergarten? And that I actually did pretty well in it? Maybe since Ella hasn't been yet, SHE should be the one going to the orientation. Just a thought.
SO, I packed up all the Barbies and Polly Pockets last night. I am officially done with those two things being the only toys my daughter and almost 3 year old son play with. I want a little variety in their play repertoire so I hid them and have been encouraging everything else under the sun to play with. Ella, Mason and Colton played together with Legos for a while this afternoon. Here's Mason playing with Legos. Even though he's playing with the only girl Lego figure Colton has, it's a slight improvement.



Colton was bored because his three amigos from up the street were MIA until about 3:30 this afternoon. They played until we had to pack up for piano lessons. Then he got a special treat as his old friend from across the world, Max, came over to play. Max and his family surprisingly ended up moving here from Hawaii 6 months after we did, and it's been fun to see familiar faces half way around the world again.

Max recently broke his arm falling from a tree but don't worry: it has not impeded his ability to play the Wii.
Oh, and you remember Jaxon's quest for a stronger work ethic and a desire to keep busy today? Well, didn't happen. He spent ALL day reading a new book or on his I touch. So much for "I love to work" and "Give me something to do Mom". Hmmm...and he really wants to go to Westpoint. Me thinks he might need to practice the following phrase instead "May I take your order please?".....This is how I found him after piano lessons:

And last but not least, here's a picture of the new bookshelf. Yeah, I like it too.

No comments: