Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Rainy Day

Today started off overcast and drizzly. I loved it!!! Mason and Ella slept in long enough for me to finish my workout. Mason has been waking Ella up the past two mornings because he wants so badly to play with her. I try to impress upon him the importance of allowing the princess enough beauty sleep otherwise things turn ugly. But he loves her and feels if he is awake, so should she be. We had the Spangenbergs over for dinner and FHE last night. Their daughter, Ella, and Mason put on a fashion show for us. They used half of Ella's wardrobe to model different outfits. This continued over into the morning when Ella and Mason bounded out of Ella's room announcing they were now "Lava Girl" and "Super Man". (He actually said Super Girl but I am trying sooo hard to convince him that he is really a boy). Here are my two super heroes:


But then it happened. Mason started feeling badly. He had a runny nose, and runny something-else, and just whined and cried and fussed while I held him and rocked him and tried to comfort him. I was supposed to go to a PTSA meeting this morning but couldn't because Mason got sick. I hope Colton doesn't get stuck with a bad teacher in retaliation for my not showing up this morning. There is a part of me that secretly likes when my kids feel a little under the weather because they just want me to hold them and rock them. All other responsibilities get thrown out the window. That laundry that needs to be done? Who cares. The floor that needs to be washed? Oh well, it can wait. Mason just wanted me to hold him so that's what I did. After a while this is what happened:


I laid him on my bed and then spent the next two and a half hours either playing with Ella or polishing my furniture. You see, my furniture is excited for company. It knows that next week some new pieces are coming and it wants to impress the new guys. So, I oiled all my wood til they shined beautifully and are now ready to be properly presented to the two new pieces being delivered next Monday. Here is my living room and dining room after a good polishing:


Ella and I played legos upstairs and found an old photo album that had pictures from our honeymoon. Since it was just our anniversary I think it was appropriate that we looked through it. The one comment she kept making over and over was "Look at Daddy's hair!!" Sean actually had fairly long hair for a few years when we were dating and newly married, but the kids have only known him with a shaved head. She also kept asking who the lady was that was with Daddy. "That's me Ella" I'd say. "Wow, you look different!" I'll pretend she said better instead of different.
Ella has been enjoying pbskids.org every once in a while and got to play this afternoon since both Jaxon and Colton were playing with friends and the computer was free.

Both Ella and Colton ate their whole dinner and were rewarded handsomely with ice cream cones. Mason got his because the poor guy is still not feeling well and everyone knows ice cream has medicinal values that can aid in the curing of most sicknesses.


Our RS has a 'Good News' moment where you can tell about something good that happened to you during the week. I have a good news moment to share from today. Colton has been less than perfect when it comes to his attitude towards Ella lately. He has been quick to talk in a mean tone and has been a bit of a meanie to her. So yesterday I laid down the law and told him this behavior had to stop. He listened to me, and the threat of not being able to go to a birthday party on Thursday. So today he tried really hard to be a little nicer. Then he told me, "Hey Mom, ya know how I've been talking nicer to Ella today? She's been nicer to me then, and I feel good inside when I'm nice." Score two points for Team Mom Teaching Moments. Go Colton!! He also changed his sheets and made his bed all by himself! (Thank you Colton cuz I hate climbing up that bunk bed and trying to tuck in those corners!) Then Colton, Mason and Ella cleaned up the toy room upstairs. They were so excited to show me. Mason opened up his arms really wide and said "Surprise!" when I walked into the room.
Final Thought:
Mason said something the other day that made me pause and think. Ella mentioned how Dad is at work and won't be home til Christmas. Then Mason asked me, "You won't go to work Mom, right?" I think he was worried I would leave too. I told him I would never go to work (like being a stay home mom ISN'T work, yea right!) and would never leave him. I told him he is my full time job. And then I planted a huge smooch on those adorable dimpled cheeks. And then he wiped the kisses away!! Can you believe that?

No comments: