Tuesday, October 19, 2010

France or Bust

MY best friend is cooler than YOUR best friend. She convinced her husband to take care of our little ones while she and I assumed the roles of Thelma and Louise and took off for a day of shopping in France. Living 45 minutes from the French border definitely has its advantages. The rain could not damped our spirits as we set off early this morning for some serious French shopping. Here we are as we took off in Dennis's cool Volvo, leaving him with the minivan (hee hee). Since neither of us have an international driver's license, we thought it best that we try to blend in with French traffic, not calling too much attention to our American selves. Big White Durango screams I'm American: Pull me over for no reason and give me a ticket!!

Here we are crossing the French border: (they must have just taken down the Happy Belated Birthday Angela sign underneath)


We hit a store called Cora, which is like a French Super Walmart. Everything from clothes to shoes to toys to food. And ohh laa laa, THE FOOD!! Rows of bagettes, cheeses, and PASTERIES!!
Look at all the yummy food:



Of course I bought more for the kids than for me. But I can totally justify everything. Colton really needed a better winter jacket. 36 degrees this morning folks. That's cold for us post-Hawaiians:

I found a cool Roman galdiator helmet at an antique store that we stopped off at on the way home. I thought it would be the perfect gift for Jaxon. My hope: I would get a huge "Cool Mom! Thanks!" Reality: "Oh, yeah, that's cool.."

I set all the yummy food on the table for the kids to dig into when they got home from school: eclairs, fruit, bagettes, and of course, for all of you who have seen the Princess and the Frog, MAN CATCHING BIGNETTES!!


On a side note, Ella was so upset when I told her the night before that I was going shopping in France the next day. I think she assumed that I was taking off for an extended trip and wouldn't return for ages. Here she is when I told her of our shopping plans:

She asked me in the morning if I was still going. I told her, "I am not driving to France. Don't worry." So, I did a Korihor and acted like a Nephite lawyer. Techinically, I didn't drive to France; Christy did. I just came along for the ride. She was a little upset when she found out I went, but quickly changed her mind when she saw the jacket and princess stuff I found for her. I know, I know, not totally honest, but it was SHOPPING IN FRANCE for pete's sake!!

No comments: