Saturday, October 23, 2010

Slowing Down

Well, I am trying to slow down a bit these past two days. Once I was done with my book report for Relief Society Thursday night, I vowed to relax a little and enjoy things more. So, after frantically cleaning most of the house on Thursday, I was able to enjoy Olivia and Mason Friday morning while we baked and decorated these:


After watching Olivia, Mason and I played superheroes. Being in his room and seeing his big toys all over the floor made my final decision for me: I had to get the bookshelf at ECL that has big enough cubby holes to house all his jungles, castles, Batcaves and Toy Story Landfills. See, it's really a matter of following the commandments. In D&C we are admonished to have a 'house of order', so I want to be a good little Mormon mommy and have a house that is organized and orderly. I can't have order if toys are all over. And if I finally find a shelf that is tall and wide enough to hold Mason's obnoxiously large spielzeug (that's playthings for all you mono-lingual readers), I think I should jump at the chance and realize that I am not just caving into the carnal desires to visit ECL on a weekly basis, but rather uphold my duty to organize an orderly home. That said, Mason and I strolled on over to ECL. Guess what? They are having a sale!! (Yeah, I knew that already, I'm on their mailing list, are you??) I was a little disappointed that they still haven't completed my preferred customer parking spot, so I had to drive around the block before parking in a sort of legal spot in their parking lot. I am a serious, conscientious shopper, so I even brought my tape measurer to make sure that the openings in the shelves would fit his toys. I measured, I consulted, I pondered, and then I PURCHASED! Wanna hear something cool? I had enough euros in my wallet to buy this thing with cash. Christy and I didn't blow the wad of cash I had taken to France, so I had left over Euros burning a hole in my pocket that needed to be spent before the dollar drops any father down. So, armed with a VAT form, cash, and a Mason who gave the purchase two thumbs up, we bought the shelf and will be back on Monday to pick it up. (You have to give the store time to remove all their decorations from the shelves. Surprisingly, when I bought the shelf, they didn't just throw in everything that was ON the shelves too; weird.)
We went to the post office afterwards and IT had arrived. Jaxon's computer. He has been waiting and wishing and hoping and saving for this thing for MONTHS. I told him he had to earn half the money before he could have it, then as long as he kept his grades up (straight A's at the moment and it better continue), is kind to his siblings, and does his chores, he can keep the computer. So, when he got in the car from the bus stop, he told me that he has almost called me earlier to pick him up since he was feeling sick. Runny nose, stuffy head, etc. I turned to him and said, "Shoot, if you're sick, you won't be able to go home and open up your new computer."
I should have brought the video camera because the look that came over his face was priceless: pure joy meets happiness meets excitement. I dropped him off at home, left him alone with his new favorite possession, and took Colton, Ella and Mason to see The Sorcerer's Apprentice. I like NIcholas Cage. Yup, we've seen it before, but it's a good show. Plus, it is FREEZING outside, so that limits our choices for Fun After School Activities.
Here is Jaxon with his computer. He let the younger kids choose what color his keyboard would be.


This morning Jaxon woke up at 6:25. Funny thing: I can't get him up at 7:00 am on a school day, but now that he has his new computer, he is wide awake at the crack of dawn. We stayed home today, cleaned, played and took things nice and easy. Everyone needs a laid back, lazy day every now and then. We baked (or course) chocolate chip muffins for Colton and blueberry ones for Jaxon. The kids helped change their sheets and make their beds.



I even got help folding laundry and matching up socks. Very cool. The biggest thing we are going to worry about today, is what's for dinner. Any suggestions?

No comments: