Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Life

My life lately has been consumed with two books:

I made the mistake of answering "yes" when asked if I like to read. A lady from our ward asked if I liked to read and if I was willing to read a great little book for the next enrichment meeting and give a short report on it.
"OK, sure" I thought. No big deal. Well, I LOVE to read, and do it every night before going to bed. But, I have been reading fiction, just fluff stuff to let me escape into another world for a few minutes. I had just finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy, so Katniss and Peeta were fresh on my mind. Then I was given Three Cups of Tea to read. Now, to be honest, it is a good book. Probably even great. But it is non fiction, not exactly an easy read, and with more names and places than even a PDA could keep track of, I quickly got lost as to who is who in the book. That said, Greg Mortenson rocks, is a true hero, and helped me see that education is a gift, I was lucky to be educated in America, and I need to step out of my comfort zone and help others. Enough said. Now, anyone have another fluff book that I can read since I did my humanitarian reading for the decade?
Then, if I wasn't reading Three Cups of Tea, I have been studying this:

I know, the picture's sideways, I tried to turn it, but you know what? It's a German book, so chances are you couldn't understand it anyways! So, I'm doing you a favor by keeping it crooked so you don't even have to try to translate the title. I have been trying so hard to learn a little bit of the language. Three classes a week should be getting me up to speed, right? WRONG!! German is a hard language, heck, I can barely speak English, who am I kidding that I can learn a different language? But, I will persevere and not give up!! I will go, I will do, the things that my German teacher commands.....I know that she'll provide the way she wants me to obey.....I won't give up. I can now say "I'm clueless" in German, so really, I think I have all the phrases down that I'll need for a while.

And here is my sweet daughter....no wait....that's my son. He played all morning with other kids and I guess it was just a little too much to stay in boy clothes for such a long period of time. So, as soon as Ella came home, he changed into her clothes and felt much better. I love him, with or without make up and pantyhose on.

And here is my sweet Ella. She has been loving drawing pictures lately. And, you know what? She is getting GOOD!! She has already surpassed me in the ability to draw people. I have been stuck on stick figures for the past 35 years, and Ella has already graduated to drawing people with real bodies: arms, legs, necks, hair, and even fingers and toes. She is fantastic and I think I will soon be able to fund her future college education by auctioning off her artwork on Ebay.

And here is my wonderful Colton. Notice anything different about his face? Maybe his lip? Do you see the blood on it? That would be from his older brother. Last night, while I was trying to have a conversation with their father on Skype, I heard what sounded like a stampede upstairs. Then crying. A battle turned bloody when Jaxon started shooting crayons at Colton with his crossbow. No more medievel weapons for the preteen. UGH!

No comments: