Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Jaxon

As Jaxon hits his 'tween' years, I find myself often concerned if I am spending enough quality time with him. Since I rarely find him throwing himself on the floor in a temper tantrum as I do the others (yup, even Colton), I want to make sure all his needs are being met and that he is doing well emotionally, socially, physically, spiritually and mentally. Since he isn't often the loudest, I want to know that he is still being heard. Currently, Ella and Mason are in a neck to neck tie for the title of LOUDEST. So, I love when Jaxon comes into my room after the other ones are asleep and we talk. Usually its about school, books, or his favorite subject: his new computer that he REALLY wants and has been saving up for since Sean left. I told him he can buy it when he has half the money, and then work the rest of the money off through allowances and chores. He is soooo excited to get it; it is an Alienware gaming computer. For you X Files fans, no aliens are included with the purchase of the computer. That's just the name. It does come in cool colors though and the keyboard lights up. But no space ship portals are opened when keyboard keys are pushed. Sorry. Anyways, I've realized how mature Jaxon is getting these past few months, and how grown up he can be at times. Here he is rocking with Ella and Maxon one evening so I could make dinner:

So, I know Jaxon is getting older and there are things looming in the future that I need to be concerned about with him, but I gotta be honest: the other day I was SHOCKED, BLOWN AWAY, when I caught him on one certain website. I thought I never would have to worry about Jaxon and this particular subject. He's very much like his father in this area: certain things just don't entice him and he is not lured easily into certain carnal worlds. So, you can imagine my complete shock when I saw him on the computer the other day, looking at this website:














www.ecko.com















What is ecko, you may ask? Some girly website? Some teenage hot spot to meet other kids? No, it is .....................















a cool clothing store.

















Yes, my dear friends, Jaxon is starting to get interested in...................

















fashion.

















Finally.



















There is something to be said about certain genes being passed on........................he finally is getting interested in wearing nice clothes.








Up to this point, his whole wardrobe has consisted of comfortable clothes. He hasn't cared what he looks like, as long as he is comfortable. He wore elastic pants/shorts for YEARS before FINALLY succumbing to the fact that jeans are good. Jeans are cool. Jean can be comfortable. This was only two years ago. Since then, he has just been wearing any shirts passed on to him, or funny t shirts that we've ordered that refer to zombies or have some comical statement on them. Then it happened. I asked him if he needed some new shirts since it is starting to get colder here and all he wears are the same 5 t-shirts over and over and over again. He told me, "Yeah, I need some new shirts. Maybe some ecko ones. My friend at school wears them and they look good. I like them. "
"Do they say something funny on them?" I asked.
"No," Jaxon replied. "They just look good."
WOW!! Jaxon wants to look good. He is starting to get interested in how he looks. So, now I know, since he is starting to care what he looks like, he is probably not far from starting to care how others look, like maybe the female variety. Uh oh..... Sean come home soon!!!!

We went to Jaxon's Open House at his middle school the other night. I gotta tell you, flash backs of my junior high days flooded into my mind. I almost ran into a bathroom to see if my hair was properly teased, my pink number 44 lipgloss was still shiny and if my black rubber bracelets still looked good. As we walked through the halls and I got shoved and pushed around trying to keep up with Jaxon as I held onto Mason and Ella...

I thought about how glad I was to be done with this stage of my life and how confident I am that Jaxon with weather these years with strength and success because he is a strong kid: strong physically, but more importantly, strong mentally and spiritually.
So as I worried that I had forgotten my locker combination and that I wasn't ready for the pop quiz in science, I remembered that this is Jaxon's time, not mine, to stretch his wings, break a little bit away from us and see what he is made of. Then hopefully remember that we are always here for him, waiting to welcome him home with open arms.

No comments: