Monday, September 27, 2010

Roller Skating

On Saturday I hurriedly assembled the last of the salads that I needed to bring to the Stake Relief Society meeting. I attended some great classes before whisking off to the kitchen to help with the lunch preparations. They had planned on about 110 sisters attending, but more and more tables kept being put out and we were running out of food. I think they fed about 140 sisters. One of my friends was worried about being able to feed everyone, and then said we should just put out two fishes and five loaves of bread and say to everyone, "Ok, if you want to eat, let's see how great your faith is and if we can make this food miraculously grow." Long story short, I think everyone ate except the people in the kitchen putting together all the food. Anyways, I had to leave early so I rushed back home to take the kids to birthday party number 1. It was a party for my German teacher's two kids so I thought we better go in case she was taking roll. The party was at the roller skating rink on Vogelweh. We have never been there before so it was my kids' first time on skates. I should have brought the video camera. Everyone put skates on, even me. Just standing up in them was a feat for Mason. I held him for a while as Ella clung for life to the wall as we slowly made our way around the rink. Colton took off looking like he was trying to swat a swarm of bees off of him as he jerked and flinched and tried to keep himself upright on his skates.
Here we are as we attempted to skate around:





As I flash backed to my junior high days and waited for a Cyndi Lauper song to play, I secretly prayed that I wouldn't fall down on my rear while I was skating around holding Mason. It seemed my worrying was for nothing as Colton did my share of falling for me. I should have strapped a pillow to that kid's rear because he kept going down hard and I worried about his skinniness factor. There is not an extra ounce of paddling anywhere on him. Ella fell a few times but was a trooper and kept going. Next time though, I think I'll bring bubble wrap for them. After skating we went to Kid's Zone for birthday party number two. This one was for one of Ella's friends from her class. The kids had fun, even Colton who had boycotted going earlier in the day, so we stayed a while and played some of the games.

No comments: