Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Back to the Grind

We drove home on Saturday and were so excited to be going back to our own house (and bathrooms and beds)! I made a big mistake though. I bought some soda for Jaxon and me for the drive. The gas station we filled up at had liter Coke Zero bottles. I thought that would last us for a while. I am not a huge soda drinker any more, but I thought, what the heck, it will help with the drive. The problem was I drank most of it during the first hour. We left at 10:00 am, and by 11 am I was thinking a bathroom break would be a good idea. By 12 I was doing the potty dance in my seat and by 12 I was ready to use the camelback water bottle next to me as a toilet. Just pull over. right? Well, I was following another car and they weren't answering their phone. I didn't want to just pull over and lose them, so I finally was able to pull up along side them, mouth the word "PEE" and get a thumbs up from the driver. YEA! I ran into the gas station, telling the other cars we were caravaning with "Sorry, Ella really had to go!!"" and got the bathroom door closed in my face as an old lady beat me to it. No problem, I'm not shy, I'll use the men's. Jaxon went into that one, and there was only one bathroom each. UGH!!! More potty dancing, then finally it was my turn. 30 seconds folks, yup, I counted. That is a new record for me. So, lesson that I learned: Don't drink and drive!!!
The culprit:

Here are the kids on the drive home:

And here is my awesome boy who knew the car needed to be cleaned out Saturday night, so he took it upon himself to grab the vaccuum and start sucking up a weeks worth of junk. I love that kid and how he is always trying to make others happy. During our trip someone said this about Colton being adopted: "I thought Colton and Mason were yours, I didn't know Colton was adopted." Can you guess my reply? If not, then please sign up for my Adoption Etiquite 101 Class taught every semester by me! I said, "Colton IS mine, I just didn't grow him." (Score two points for the adopted mom team!)


We unpacked a bit on Saturday, threw in some laundry, then crashed. Sunday morning brought happiness and joy as we awoke in our own beds and didn't have to walk down 50 steps to use the bathroom. I was still busy unpacking and putting things away. We had to leave for church around 12:25 and at 12:10 I got a phone call. Note to self: NEVER ANSWER THE PHONE ON SUNDAYS BEFORE CHURCH!!! It was Ella's teacher: Could I sub in her class? I wasn't dressed, none of the kids had church clothes on, the bag wasn't packed, but SURE! I'll do it! So I grabbed some FHE packets with games that the kids liked and called that my prep time. After church, Mason's hair wasn't as curly as it has been, just long and bit scraggly, so I got out the scissors and did a little trimming. He didn't fuss a bit. I barely took any off, so don't worry: his golden curls are still there.

And here is what happens when Ella gets ahold of the camera:

On Monday we did still MORE laundry and cleaning. It is amazing how much needs to be done when you leave your house for a week. I found Colton back outside working on the car some more. Then Ella and Mason joined in. They were working so hard I felt like I better call Kate Gosslin and ask about Child Labor Laws and make sure they weren't being overworked!! I'm sure the law here in Germany is different anyways, so I let them keep vaccumming and wiping.


After cleaning, the boys wanted to go to Toys R Us to check out Legos. They are now earning an allowance and had been saving their money up for certain Lego sets. I know, how crazy was I to take four kids into Toys R Us? Here's Ella crusin' the pink aisles:

Ella and Mason each chose one small thing and Colton used his money (after tithing of course) to buy a Star Wars Lego set. Unfortunately the set Jaxon wanted wasn't there, so we have to order it. The best part was going in the car and Ella said "Thanks Mom, I'm happy and grateful for what I got." WHAT???!!!! Gratitude??? No whining? No complaining about not getting everything you saw and wanted? She had asked for tons of stuff, but every time I said "No, maybe for Christmas", Ella said, "Ok." WOW. You don't think they are actually learning something from all those FHE and scripture sessions, do you? It was probably just a fluke, but it sure put a smile on this mom's face!
After Toys R Us it was dinner time, and guess what opened just down the road? A Kentucky Fried Chicken. We drive by it every Sunday on the way to church, and Colton has been begging to go there one day, and today looked like the perfect day. So, we got some chicken, let the little ones play on the play ground, and called it a success!


But Angela, what about your procedure? Weren't you supposed to have your moles CUT OFF today? We were sooo worried about you!! We sent "Get Well" balloons and FTD floral bouquets, they must have just not arrived yet? Well, thanks for asking! I am just fine! It was a little more than I thought it would be, but not a big deal. The doctor made me sign a form releasing him of any liability if I die (always a nice way to start an appointment) and the nurse who assisted him was a reincarnation of Nell Carter (remember that show, Give Me A Break?) She wasn't the nicest and she kept leaving the room during the procedure, so the doctor and I would just freeze until she got back. The funny part was when she sat me on the table and showed me the surgical kit they were going to use. She told me it was sterile, so be careful when she opened it. "So, I shouldn't spit in that direction, right?" I tried to joke, but she didn't even crack a smile. Tough audience. Then the doctor took out one of those cloths with the cut out circle like you see in those doctor shows? He shot me up with an anesthetic, put the cut up cloth over me, and cut away. I wish I could tell you how painful it was and evoke lots of sympathy, but, just like Abe, I cannot tell a lie. It didn't hurt at all. I really didn't feel a thing. So, I ended up with three less moles, a few stitches, and a couple of "EWW, gross!!" from the kids when I showed them the stitches. The doctor said to take it easy, so I only ran four miles today. Tomorrow is pull up day. Think I should take a break? Yea right. Then you don't know me very well!! Hee Hee!!
Tuesday was MORE cleaning! Man, this big house is working me hard!! I went visiting teaching with Ella and Mason, then food shopping. After food shopping with the two of them, I was ready for a week vacation in the Bahamas, but we went home to put everything away and clean more. Look how beautiful my frig is after I cleaned it out and stocked it up:

We mailed Sean another package today (he hasn't received one yet). Here are three more that go out tomorrow:

And here is my beautifully clean and very small kitchen that I couldn't dirty after scrubbing it, so we went out to eat again:

But, you just went food shopping, right? Why take them out again? Because Jaxon had a contact lens fitting appointment that lasted til 5 and the kids were starving afterwards. Plus, if I can keep the kitchen clean for 12 more hours, I will be excited. It's the little things that bring smiles to my face!

No comments: