Sunday, July 11, 2010

Just drank flower water

Ok, I am getting excited about our trip tomorrow, but also nervous and a bit overwhelmed. Do I have everything I need? Did I pack enough clothes, snacks, chargers for everything electronic, more snacks, diapers, and snacks? I am a bit frazzled right now, running around trying to make sure I have everything I need. I just took a big gulp from my water glass. Or what I thought was my water glass. It was actually the glass Colton filled with roses for me about a week ago. The flowers finally died and I just threw them out this afternoon. I unfortunately left the water glass on the windowsill. I should have thrown it right away. In my frantic state, I grabbed the glass and just took a big swig: it was warm. That should have been my first clue that something was wrong. Then it tasted a little funny. By the second gulp I realized what I was doing and spit the rest out. Yuck. I will probably be fine until about an hour into the drive tomorrow when I get incredibly nauseous from my flower water drinking and need to repeatedly pull over with the whole caravan of Mormon vacationers and hurl all over the autobahn. Lovely. On a brighter note, the kids played nicely together today. Jaxon and Colton traded Legos this morning and made each other happy. Mason and Ella are playing happily all evening, even though it is SOOOO HOT in here. Kids just don't care as much as we adults do about the heat. I am melting, and Ella is so happy to be wearing her dumpster dress that she doesn't care it has long sleeves and she is sweating.
Oh, by the way, here she is in the dress we picked out of the dumpster last week:


It has been a couple days since we baked, so we started off the morning with some cookies, which I ended up eating more than anyone else. Here are Colton and Mason helping me:



Church was hot. I heard if it was over 100, they were gonna send us home after sacrament. Lucky for us it hovered around 97. They made an announcement that the brethren could take off their jackets. There was a huge sigh of relief. What can the sisters take off? Nada. Unless we wanted to reinact the Garden of Eden, we were stuck, and hot. Jaxon kept his suit coat on the whole time; I was impressed.

This morning Colton made a big annoucement. He is now a vegetarian. Ok, I'll support his decision. I can appreciate the fact he wants to eat healthy and not hurt animals; get his protein sources from beans and dairy products; etc. But here's the funny thing. Look what Colton was eating when he declared to us his new dietary guidelines:

Can you tell what he's eating?



BACON!!! "Uh, Colton, do you know what you're eating right now?"
"Yup, bacon."
"Uh huh, and where does bacon come from?"
"Ummm...."
"PIGS!! And last time I checked, pigs were considered animals, so, even if they were grain fed swine, you're vegetarian beginnings are off to a poor start. Might wanna reconsider your culinary guidelines."
"Ok, I'll start after breakfast."

I have a new rule for scripture time. I have been having a hard time keeping Ella and Mason sitting down when we read scriptures every evening. The best luck I have is when I read when they are eating dinner or dessert. Sometimes that doesn't work though. So, tonight I decided if you listen to me read scriptures, then you are entitled to listen to me read you bedtime stories. No scripture listening, no bedtime stories. I think that's fair. And if you listen during scriptures, you will be rewarded with a lollipop. I don't know about your house, but in our household, dum dum lollipops are about equal to their weight in gold. Those little suckers are a form of their own currency in my house. So, Ella and Mason listened to scriptures, and this is a picture of them reaping their reward:

And finally, here is the state of my hallway as I get ready to finish packing up the bags for our trip:


Now, I won't be able to blog while on vacation this week, so feel free to look at past blogs and laugh whole heartedly. I will return next Sunday with a whole slew of new stories and wonderful pictures from our week in Bertschesgarden. Still don't know how the heck to spell that.

No comments: