Friday, July 9, 2010

Thursday Afternoon

As we left the park, we walked through a mini forest to get to our car. Look how pretty it is:

Mason found a good spot to keep hold of his precious new Barbie doll:


I asked Colton where he wanted to go next. I offered him K-I-D-S Z-O-N-E. I spelled it out for him about 7 times before he figured out what I was trying to say and heartfully agreed that that should be our next destination. (better work on that spelling this summer). We arrived at Kids Zone, a mini version of Chuck E Cheese and were disappointed to find out that there was no air conditioning inside. The kids rode some little rides, poured tokens into games that rewarded them with minimal amounts of tickets, and got hot and sweaty climbing in the big jungle gym.

Colton kept scouring the floor in search of lost tickets or tokens. He was sure he would be able somehow to collect enough tickets for the 10000 ticket item: an I touch. I tried to encourage him to lower his sights a little bit and be happy with the 5 point army men. He conceeded and ended up with some army guys and two jump ropes. Here is the cool thing: Colton gave one of his jump ropes to Ella. Even though she had been driving him crazy all day, he used half his tickets to get his sister something. Isn't that cool? I think he is thinking in the future: when he gets back from his mission, Ella's 17 year old friends are gonna be lookin' mighty cute to this RM and he's gonna pull out the "Remember when I got you that jump rope from Kids Zone? Now can I have your friend's phone number?" Here's Colton with his jump rope, and Mason with a stamp that he ended up wiping all over his lips as soon as he got home. He and Ella thought it would look great to use the pink and purple stamps as lipstick, and over 24 hours later, their lips are still discolored.


At night, the RS president picked me up for a RS dinner and dropped off her niece to babysit for me. The first thing Ella said to the teenager was, "You're huge!" meaning, she looks already grown up. But I quickly taught her that you NEVER tell a teenage girl that she's huge. I can just see the therapy bill I will be getting in the future from that girl's family or the eating disorder clinic's admission fee I'll be charged because of Ella's comment. The kids did fine in my absence, I hung out with some cool sisters for a while, and we all went to bed later than we should have. Oh well, it's summer.

No comments: