Friday, July 9, 2010

French/German Gardens

Today's field trip was to the French and German Gardens in Saarbrucken. The trip was supposed to take 35 minutes according to our trusty Garmin GPS. Four families in our minivans caravanned over there, and got completely lost. The address we were given was wrong. It took us to a downtown one way side street. No gardens around. Just a bunch of small roads, smaller cars, and a great chance to up my insurance rates by trying to turn around in the wrong place. We drove around for a while and finally one of the ladies saw a sign for the gardens. I am the WORST with directions. I was ready to pack it up, call it a day, and find the nearest McDonalds for a hot fudge sundae but when she called and told me she saw the sign and could get us there, I grudgingly put the thought of ice cream on the back burner and found the gardens. We were all under the impression that this place was a playground. Nope. Its a huge garden. Big pond in the middle, lots of trees, big path to stroll along, even some ducks. Playground? Nope. Climbing equipment? Nada. Swings? Uh-uh. Hot and Humid? Definitely! Mason refused to walk so I carried him around the pond in hopes of finding something fun for the kids to do. Finally we found a miniature golf course. Colton was the only Tiger Woods in the family. This is how Mason spent his time at first:

Clinging on to me.

Finally he started to warm up to another little kid and soon they were sharing goldfish like best buddies:


Ella didn't want to golf. This is how she spent her time:


By the end of the golfing session, Mason was climbing up and down each hole with his new found companion and having a fun time.


Since it was hot, what do you think we had to get after golf? Popsicles!!



We cooled off for a minute, then headed back home. I needed to be back in time for my second German lesson. I now know how to say how old I am (which is WAYYYY too old so I think I am going to find a german number I like better and just stick with that one), I can count to 100, and I learned a bunch of verbs. We're taking Colton to a piano lesson tonight, then maybe an exciting evening of stories and games.

No comments: